Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hi: I'm responding to Michael's question about the windows. Since my last post, we had two of the fixed triples develop cracks. They are located in our entry, on the south side, and there's no sign of structural problems in the drywall, floor, or anywhere around the windows. Our one thought is that the tightness of our entry room, combined with some freakishly high winds that we had in January, might have caused them to crack under stress. I called PVC, and the rep was out within days. He said no problem, they'll get us new windows. Now, that was three months ago, and I'm still waiting. But the reply from service is "they'll be there before the end of the month." Their initial turnaround time for our builder (and all 52 windows) was incredible: 2 weeks I think!

So, like you Mike, while I would rather have had the fiberglass windows, and some of the glazing specs offered by the Canadian companies, the real hurdle was price. We just couldn't pay, in our case, nearly three times more for our windows. It made more sense for us to increase our wall R-values, air seal the ducts, and put in solar hot water to help improve our efficiencies. Someday, some company might come up with replacements that have more ideal performance characteristics for our house. But at present, I'm pretty satisfied with the casement/awning and fixed window performance. The hardware seems decent, they shut tightly, and while the triple fixed seem to flex a little, you won't feel anything cold or hot coming through.

Make sure you talk to PVC about the VT for your windows. They can improve their standard VT on the glazing a bit, without compromising your U. Depending on where you live, it could be important for you to have some more visible light. Our builder used the standard Earthwise triples down the street, and because of that home's orientation and window configuration, it seems SO dark inside. So, try to view some units if you can so that you're not surprised when you get them.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,

    It took me a couple of days to realized you answered my questions. I had been looking for comments on the other post and didn't notice this new post. Duh -- I guess if your name is in the title of a post you should read it.

    I should also give you my email (Michael.Aarons@XOMETRIX.com) because I think you don't get that when someone posts a comment and it might be an easier way to reply.

    I'm glad to hear that PVC is going to get the windows fixed. The tale of having to chase after a company for warranty service seems to be a common theme for window manufacturers.

    I was not aware of the different glazing options from EW/PVC until I read your post. In fact I was getting wildly incorrect VT and SHGC numbers from the sales guy. Now I've figured out the EW window model codes on the NFRC database and can actually see what they make.

    I think we will opt for higher VT and sacrifice SHG. I have seen a lot of low VT windows and agree that I really don't like their "tint." We are just west of Boston, so our climate is slightly warmer than yours. The house also will have 20-40-60 R insulation and a super-tight envelope so tweaking the SHG does little to affect the overall performance.

    The number that really got my attention in your post was the price you paid. We have 30 windows -- mostly casements/awnings (27) and the rest are fixed. The quote I received from PVC (via my local lumberyard from who I am buying _all_ the materials for the house) was $10K. For example, a 34"x60" casement was $360 and a 30"x18" awning was $310.

    Even factoring in double-glazed being less than triple-glazed and a higher percentage of picture windows, I can't seem to rationalize the $10K price.

    FYI - The quotes I got from Accurate-Dorwin and Fibertec on these same 30 windows was $15K (the two quotes were almost exactly the same price). Those numbers factored in $1500 in delivery costs. PVC had the deliver costs bundled in. I'm still waiting (but running out of patience) for the local Inline distributor to get me a quote.

    I think I need to go back to the PVC guy, if I'm seriously thinking about getting his windows, and present him with a pencil sharpener.

    Regards,

    Michael Aarons

    ReplyDelete